The Benefits of United Through Reading
United Through Reading is simple but the impact on a military family is profound—even life changing—for military families facing the challenges of separation.
It’s simply a story read aloud on video.
But, through these recordings children can see their loved ones faces, hear their voices, and follow along page by page. The stories are watched day after day until children have memorized every word, every gesture, and every laugh and “air hug” of their service member. Magical things happen when these stories are shared:
- The anxiety caused by separation for the military child, caregiver, and service member fades.
- Caregivers at home are supported because parenting is shared.
- Service members become a part of daily life at home, even while they are away.
- Children are reassured that their beloved service member is safe, and thinking of them.
- Children learn to recognize their service member’s face and voice, and welcome a familiar parent, rather than a stranger, at homecoming.
- A lifetime love of stories, books, and reading is sparked in a child.
It’s clear that though it’s a simple story read aloud on video, the benefit are a game changer. UTR can give a military family back a sense of normalcy and unity during one of the toughest seasons as a military family. It’s true!
- 85% of UTR participants who respond to our survey reported their participation eased the stress and anxiety caused by deployment for their military child;
- 88% reported an increase in connectedness;
- 90% reported a decrease in their own stress during deployment;
- and 80% said using UTR increased their children’s interest in reading and books.